
VALERIE WONG
"Too much of a good thing is a great thing" :D

|
6:42 PM |
-Wow I think this is the first time I've ever given any of my blog posts a title. I wonder if it'll even show up because I've never been able to see a spot for a title in this blogskin.- *EDIT: no the title didn't show up, so...* SONGS Yeah now you know what I want to talk about. I want my Taylor Swift rant to be proper with everything I've ever thought about almost every song (yeah doesn't make it a rant anymore) so I'm currently jotting down stuff. :) Expect it after next Friday (16 Nov)...? Within a week? Anyway. SONGS. Today I was just wondering why I liked some singers and I don't like others. Well, more specifically, why I only like Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga and not any other of the more mainstream singers like I dunno... Jessie J or Katy Perry or Adele or blahh *not that I hate them I'm just listing random ones off the top of my head* Then I thought of an answer. Most people like songs because of the tune or the voice of the person, but I like songs because of the lyrics. I only like singers who sing songs with meaningful lyrics. Doesn't have to be sad or soulful, it just has to mean something in the heart. What I mean is I hate songs where they're rambling about getting laid or just meaningless I love you's and I can't get enough of you's. And when I say meaningful I mean it has to mean something to the singers themselves. Since both Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga write songs about their own life experiences and use metaphors to describe their feelings, from the lyrics you know that the lyrics of the song actually apply to them and they feel the lyrics. Not like other singers, who write songs, yeah, but the songs don't really mean anything to them, and they only write what they think other people will like, and not what they themselves relate to. Even worse, they sing songs that other people write. I don't mind if you sing songs that other people compose the tunes for, as long as you write the lyrics yourself. Like, Mao of SID does that. I realised that for every song he sings, he never ever composes the tune of the songs (the other members of the band do that) but he always, ALWAYS writes the lyrics for the songs. Unless the other band members have already done so or they want other lyrics, but that's very rare. So when he sings the song, he means it. And, you may already know from my previous posts, that I absolutely hate songs with no deep meaning in them. There are some love ballads that sound very soothing to the ears, and are sung by people who have very beautiful round voices. But then you look at the lyrics of the song, and you just tense up. Because the lyrics HAVE NO MEANING. They just go on and on saying "I love you" and "I miss you" and "Being without you is as good as being dead" and especially "You're so beautiful". Which frankly is just stupid. Instead of saying it directly and sounding as if you just need a willing shag for the night, you could try and express your real feelings and actually make the song meaningful! For example, you could describe a happy experience with that person. You could mention things that remind you of that person. You could use a metaphor to describe your feelings. Make the song mean something proper to yourself. Just a friendly reminder that when you write songs, they're for YOURSELF, not for other people, not for your fans, not for the sake of earning money! (Okay maybe money can be a reason, but it shouldn't be the most important one) Okay. Is now a good time to mention that I actually like Super Junior? /slapsss/// no I'm not a hypocrite. I just liked Super Junior around when I was twelve (quite a few years ago) because I liked their dance moves and their looks and clothes and hair. And stuff. And even though they don't write the lyrics to almost all of their songs, some of the lyrics are actually quite good, especially the ballads, so I sort of 'forgive' them for that. But other than Super Junior I've never really been a fan of Kpop. I've never hated it though. I think it's innocent. But whatever. And I should also probably mention that I like One Direction because of the nice voices. And the good looks. And my interest was only piqued because a friend (or two) is crazy over them and I just got interested. Doesn't help that their songs are catchy. However I got sick of them quite quickly for the same reasons. I still listen to them and think they're funny on interviews and Niall's Irish so that's hot, but I won't consider going to a concert. I don't usually tend to consider myself fickle in terms of the songs I like. I have proper, kind of 'mature' reasons for picking the songs that I like, I like to think. I also tend to call them real songs. And also nowadays I tend to listen to random songs that hold significant meaning in the lyrics. For example, Gorecki by Lamb and a few songs from The Cure. Because of my current 'situation'. --------- I found this quote from Tumblr that I really like. "Being a fan doesn't mean you were there from the beginning, it's willing to be there until the end." Which I think is quite meaningful because I've always been insecure about liking Doctor Who and Torchwood and Sherlock only (a few years) after the series actually began and sometimes, ended. Especially insecure about liking Benedict Cumberbatch because of that reason too. I don't know why. Suppose I thought being there from the beginning actually mattered, and if you are a lat fan, you didn't experience a lot of things with him, and you only found everything out altogether at the end, instead of slowly with him, experiencing the same feelings and anticipation, and not watching all the episodes of all the series in a marathon a few years later. That's why I only felt proud of liking Super Junior. Because I was there before the idiotic wave started. I still think the wave is idiotic and full of rich but stupid fans that only care about hot bodies and showing off how many concerts they've been to and not actually caring about who the idols are as people. --------- So there. Hope you enjoyed my rant, and forgive any grammatical and spelling and punctuation errors, because I wrote this in a frantic rush to get out all my feelings at once without forgetting to write anything. Comment | 0 Comment(s)
|